Wild Duck with Bacon Cooked on a Spit Roaster
- 1 duck
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 6 long bacon rashers
- 1 onion
- 3 spring onions
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- Blend all the ingredients together and rest the duck in the mixture overnight.
- Remove the duck from the mixture and wrap in bacon
Attaching it to the spit:
- You'll need a skewer, 2 chicken prongs, butchers string and toothpicks
- Pass the skewer through the duck trying to keep the load as balanced on the skewer as you can.
- Insert one chicken prong through either side of the duck and lock in tight
- If you're having trouble securing the bacon to the duck, use butchers string and toothpicks.
Many things will affect your cooking time, however, allow around 3 hours to be on the safe side. If it's ready a little earlier, you can always push the charcoal to the side and raise the duck to the top of the spit roaster so it stays warm but doesn't actually keep cooking. Use a cooking thermometer to test the internal temperature and once it gets to 75 degrees, you know it's cooked.